Wednesday, November 19, 2008

More Words

Dorothy's been putting two to four words together for several months now. I thought I'd write some of the things I'm hearing her say a lot these days.

(1) For the most part, her diction is very good and the words sound the way they are supposed to. But of course, there are funny exceptions, which I keep trying to remember so that I can write them down:

  • "maw-mower" - lawn mower
  • "beef-oh-wer" - leaf blower
  • "bee-bow" or "bay-bow" - rainbow
  • "eth-et" - elephant
  • "BAH-yoon" or "BAH-loon" - balloon
  • "bip" or "bimp" - blimp (when we drive into Frederick there's a car dealership that has a blimp-shaped balloon high in the air over the dealership, and she will excitedly yell "bimp! bimp! bimp!" when we approach it)
  • "tay-woh-woh-woh" - ponytail holder (sometimes she'll add a bunch of extra syllables to this, like "tay-woh-woh-woh-woh-woh")
  • "fah-fly" - butterfly


(2) For the longest time she was saying "peas"(please) and "pay" (play). Suddenly in the past week or so she has decided that the words beginning with "pl-" need to have an extra syllable in them. So she's now saying "puh-weeze" (please) and "puh-way!" (play).


(3) Two Mondays ago (Nov. 10th) she was running and smacked her forehead into our kitchen table. She got a good size knot which has thankfully subsided but she still has a "boo boo" there. Whenever she is reminded of her boo-boo (like when I touch it or someone asks about it) she says "hit table". When I ask her how that happened, or what was she doing when that happened, she says "running". (I'm praying the boo-boo will heal before we get holiday pictures taken or else Photoshop will be getting a workout.)


(4) I've been singing "Jesus Loves Me" to Dorothy at naptime and bedtime ever since she was a very little baby. The other day, when she woke up from her nap, I heard her saying, pretty clearly, "Jesus loves me" and "Bible tells me so." I haven't been able to get her to do it since then, but it was exciting!


(5) She likes to say "new one" (new one), "nuh-one" (another one), and "uh-one" (other one). For example, when I am changing her diaper, after I've taken the old one off, she will say "new one dy-per" (diaper)? Or when she's finished reading a book with Daddy, she'll say "nuh-one book" and go get another one for him to read. Or when I give her a bear, but she really wanted the other bear, she'll say "uh-one bear".


(6) She also understands the concept of "two" - she will hold up a spoon and fork and say "two poons" (spoons). Or for her two shoes she will say "two shoes - one, two". Incidentally, she also understands the concept of "too" (and probably thinks of it as the same thing). When I'm putting her to bed, she will frequently ask for both her babies (dolls). After I give her the first one she'll say "baby too?" (can I have the other baby too?)


(7) She has been counting to ten, although not reliably, for a couple months now. She has done it perfectly, without help, a handful of times, but most times she skips 6 and 7 unless I prompt her. Also, she will occasionally start chanting random sections of the alphabet. I have heard her say "A-B-C" and "H-I-J-K and "Q-R-S".


(8) A few of her books are in heavy rotation and she remembers phrases from them. For example, she likes a book called Little Lamb's Playtime (which she calls the "bunny book" because it has a bunny as well as a lamb). It has the phrases "Come and play!" and "Ride on the seesaw" and "Whizz down the slide". She will read this book to herself in the back seat of the car and I will hear her say "Come and pway! Down the slide! Sit see-saw!" Another book is Can You Tell Me How To Get To Sesame Street? (which she calls the "Elmo book") featuring Elmo flying a kite that takes him all over the place. She regularly says phrases from this book, such as "up ee-yair" (up in the air) or "past the moon!" (past the moon) - and she's always looking at the right page when she says it. The other day I asked her something about Elmo flying his kite and she said "Sah-see teet!" (Sesame Street)


(9) She's pretty good with identifying colors (although she's not always correct, but she seems to be improving).

"oh-rinch" = orange
"weh-woh" = yellow
"pur-puh" = purple
"boo" = blue
"red" = red
"geen" = green
"peek" or "pink" = pink


(10) This puzzle that my Dad and Joan gave her last Christmas has all the letters of the alphabet and corresponding pictures. This has expanded her vocabulary tremendously because some of the pictures are somewhat unusual vocabulary words. She knows words like:

"igoo" (igloo)
"ay-pay" or "ay-payne" (airplane)
"op-uh-sus-sus" (octopus)
"jap-ee-box" (jack-in-the-box)
"sy-phone" (xylophone)
"vy-lin" or "vy-o-win" (violin)

No comments: